This bobotie recipe brings an all-time favorite South African dish.
Author: Janet Thorne
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
Bobotie is a favorite South African dish that comes from the Malay culture in the Cape Town area.
- 1 lbs cooked ground beef
- 1 big onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice bread soaked in milk
- 1 tablespoon curry (paste or powder - I use paste)
- ½ cup coconut (not sweet) or almonds
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Apricot jam or 1 dessert spoon honey
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- Cook the ground beef with onion in oil or butter.
- Add a little salt and pepper and one tablespoon tomato paste for flavor to the ground beef. Also add a little parsley.
- In a different pan, fry the onions in butter and add curry - allow to become darker.
- Beat the eggs and milk together.
- Add lemon juice into curry mixture, then Apricot jam, coconut, bread & vinegar.
- Add ground beef and one third of milk & egg mixture.
- Bake for ten minutes in pyrex dish uncovered at 325° F.
- Then pour over the balance of milk & egg mixture and leave in oven until brown.
This bobotie recipe comes from Janet Thorne, and was submitted by Mollie Wing. Thanks to both.
Want To Easily Cook Delicious South African Food In The USA?