This bobotie recipe brings an all-time favorite South African dish.
Author: Janet Thorne
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
Bobotie is a favorite South African dish that comes from the Malay culture in the Cape Town area.
- 1 lbs cooked ground beef
- 1 big onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice bread soaked in milk
- 1 tablespoon curry (paste or powder - I use paste)
- ½ cup coconut (not sweet) or almonds
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Apricot jam or 1 dessert spoon honey
- 3 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- Cook the ground beef with onion in oil or butter.
- Add a little salt and pepper and one tablespoon tomato paste for flavor to the ground beef. Also add a little parsley.
- In a different pan, fry the onions in butter and add curry - allow to become darker.
- Beat the eggs and milk together.
- Add lemon juice into curry mixture, then Apricot jam, coconut, bread & vinegar.
- Add ground beef and one third of milk & egg mixture.
- Bake for ten minutes in pyrex dish uncovered at 325° F.
- Then pour over the balance of milk & egg mixture and leave in oven until brown.
This bobotie recipe comes from Janet Thorne, and was submitted by Mollie Wing. Thanks to both.
How To Easily Cook Mouth-Watering South African Food In The USA