This Brandy tart recipe produces another old-time favorite South African food. It is very yummy!
Brandy Tart Recipe
Author: A South African
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South African
- 250 g (½ pound) dates
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) Bicorbonate of Soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 125 ml (½ cup) butter or margarine
- 250 ml (1 cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml (2 cups) flour
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) baking powder
- 2.5 ml (½ teaspoon) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) chopped pecan nuts
- 312 ml (1¼ cup) sugar
- 12.5 ml (1 desert spoon) butter
- 187 ml (¾ cup) water
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 125 ml (½ cup) Brandy
- Cut the dates into small pieces. Add the Bicarb and boiling water to half of the dates in a mixing bowl, stir and let it cool.
- Beat the butter and the sugar together well until it's creamy and then add the beaten eggs. Mix well.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together en fold into the butter mixture.
- Add the rest of the dry dates and nuts and after that, add the dates- and bicarb mixture. Mix well together.
- Dish the mixture in a large ovenproof bake dish, or into two (2) tart/pie dishes with a diameter of 22 cm (9") each.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes in a medium oven at 180° C (350° F).
- Pour the hot syrup over the tart when it comes out the oven.
- Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.
- Boil the first 3 ingredients together for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Remove from heat en add the vanilla, salt and Brandy.
- Stir well.
A great serving suggestion is to serve brandy tart with vanilla ice cream.
170 Ways To Cook Mouth-Watering South African Food In The USA