Everyone loves vetkoek, which is why a vetkoek recipe is a good thing to have! Fill it with a little curried ground beef and it’s called a “curry bunny”. It’s also really good with regular ground beef and some cheddar cheese, or cheese and syrup!
- 6¾ cups Flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 packet Yeast
- Lukewarm water
- Cooking oil (for frying)
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 - 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 1-1½ inches of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F.
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 1 inch thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.
This recipe was submitted by Linda Moreland. Thanks!