Here is a delicious bobotie recipe from South Africa, which is a traditional ground beef dish originating in Malaysia. Now you can make your own from scratch. Enjoy!
The Bobotie Recipe
- 1 lbs cooked Ground Beef
- 1 big Onion
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 slice bread soaked in milk
- 1 tbsp Curry (paste or powder – I use paste)
- ½ cup Coconut (not sweet or almonds)
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Apricot jam or 1 dessert spoon honey
- 3 cups Milk
- 3 Eggs
- Cook the ground beef with onion in oil or butter.
- Add a little salt and pepper and one tablespoon tomato paste for flavor to the ground beef. Also add a little parsley.
- In a different pan, fry the onions in butter and add curry – allow to become darker.
- Beat the eggs and milk together.
- Add lemon juice into curry mixture, then Apricot jam, coconut, bread & vinegar.
- Add ground beef and one third of milk & egg mixture.
- Bake for ten minutes in pyrex dish uncovered at 325 °F.
- Then pour over the balance of milk & egg mixture and leave in oven until brown.
This scrumptious recipe comes from Janet Thorne, and was submitted by Mollie Wing. Thanks to both.