This sugar cookies recipe produces about 160 old fashioned sugar cookies, or “soetkoekies” as many South Africans know them.
Soetkoekies / Sugar Cookies Recipe
“Soetkoekies” are sugar cookies, and we all know how good those are! Simply delicious!
- 8.8 oz Butter/Margarine at room temperature (250 g)
- 3 cups Sugar
- 5 Large Eggs
- 6 cups Cake Flour
- 2 tbsp Baking powder
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- ½ tsp 2ml Salt
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 5 tsp Milk
- Cream butter/margerine, sugar and eggs together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt together.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the egg mixture to a reasonably soft dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease the baking sheets.
- Roll the dough out thinly on a surface that has been sprinkled with flour.
- Cut out circles of about 2 inches in diameter, with a cookie cutter.
- Place the circles evenly on the baking sheets.
- Mix the beaten egg and milk and brush this lightly over the cookies.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over each cookie.
- Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes or until golden on the middle ovenrack.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets before placing on drying racks.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.
This recipe was submitted by Colleen Kaluza. Thanks so much!
How To Easily Cook Mouth-Watering South African Food In The USA
South African Cooking in the USA is a new book created specifically for people living in the US and who want to cook South African food. It has never been easier!
- Recipes contain US equivalents for ingredients found only in South Africa
- Recipe quantities and volumes have been converted to US measures
- More than 170 South African recipes, including:
- Bunny Chow
- Buttermilk Rusks
- Hot Durban Curry
- Monkeygland Steak
- Hot Cross buns, and more...
Please share this information...