This sugar cookies recipe produces about 160 old fashioned sugar cookies, or “soetkoekies” as many South Africans know them.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
Author: Colleen Kaluza
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: South African
Sugar cookies or "soetkoekies" is a favorite among South Africans. This recipe makes about 160 cookies.
- 250g Butter/Margarine at room temperature
- 3 cups (750ml) Sugar
- 5 Large Eggs
- 6 cups (800g) Cake Flour
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Baking powder
- 2 tsp (10ml) Nutmeg
- ½ tsp (2ml) Salt
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 25ml (2 Tbsp) Milk
- Cream butter/margerine, sugar and eggs together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt together.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the egg mixture to a reasonably soft dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C (400° F).
- Lightly grease the baking sheets.
- Roll the dough out thinly on a surface that has been sprinkled with flour.
- Cut out circles of about 4-5cm (2") in diameter, with a cookie cutter.
- Place the circles evenly on the baking sheets.
- Mix the beaten egg and milk and brush this lightly over the cookies.
- Sprinkle a little sugar over each cookie.
- Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes or until golden on the middle ovenrack.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheets before placing on drying racks.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.
This sugar cookies recipe was submitted by Colleen Kaluza. Thanks so much!
How To Easily Cook Mouth-Watering South African Food In The USA