Here is a great melktert recipe (milktart recipe) sent to us. This one makes 2 tarts.
Melktert (“milktart”) is a tart with a custard-like filling, sprinkled with a little cinnamon.
Author: A South African
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South African
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- 125g Margarine
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Margarine
- 2½ tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well, and press into 2 pie dishes.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 320°F (160°C).
- (Or buy two readymade pie bases - preferrably the shortbread type.)
- Boil milk and margarine.
- Mix the rest of ingredients into a smooth paste in a bowl and add to boiling milk.
- Return to heat and stir until thick (about 5 minutes).
- Pour into shells and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Put in the fridge.