Here is a great melktert recipe (milktart recipe) sent to us. This one makes 2 tarts.
Melktert / Milk Tart Recipe
Melktert, aka “milktart,” is a tart with a custard-like filling, sprinkled with cinnamon.
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ cup Sugar
- 4.4 oz Margarine (125 g)
- 1 Egg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 4 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Margarine
- 2½ tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Add egg, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well, and press into 2 pie dishes.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 320°F
- (Or buy two readymade pie bases – preferrably the shortbread type.)
- Boil milk and margarine.
- Mix the rest of ingredients into a smooth paste in a bowl and add to boiling milk.
- Return to heat and stir until thick (about 5 minutes).
- Pour into shells and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Put in the fridge.
Want To Easily Cook Delicious South African Food In The USA?
Please share this information...