Monkey Gland Sauce is a very popular condiment in South Africa that goes very well with steak, burgers, ribs, or chicken. It is a tangy sauce sauce that includes a blend of fruit and spices. This Monkey Gland Sauce recipe will help you make your own!
Thanks to Mano Thanos for sending us this Monkey Gland Sauce recipe!
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup of water
- 1 small can of chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup of ketchup
- ½ cup of Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup of spicy chutney (Mrs. Ball's)
- 6 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Oil for frying
- In a pot or good sized saucepan, sautee the onions and the garlic, until soft and lightly caramelized.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir thoroughly to combine and heat through
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for half an hour
- Serve a generous amount on your grilled or sauteed steak or burger
- You can also add a little Tobasco sauce for a bit of zing!
The chutney in this recipe may be a slight problem to get in the US. In our experience, there are some stores that sell it. It can be found in stores that specialize in selling South African food online, or stores like World Market often have it as well. Maybe our next step is to add a chutney recipe. If you have one, send it to us and we’ll post it 🙂
If you make this Monkey Gland sauce, let us know in the comments below how it turned out 🙂
How To Easily Cook Mouth-Watering South African Food In The USA