This is a problem that everybody has in the beginning. Which shops sell what? There is no Pick ‘n Pay or CNA in the US, so where do you buy groceries, medicine, books etc in Austin?
Here is a list some of the things you may be looking for, and where you can buy it. (If you’re an “old-timer” in Austin and have some shops to add, please use our contact form to let us know.)
- Groceries: H.E.B., Randalls, Walmart, Kroger, Costco (bulk shopping), Brookshire Brothers (smaller towns)
- Pharmacy: Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, Costco
- Clothes & Shoes: Sears, Mervyns, Target, Payless Shoes, Kohls
- Hardware: Home Depot, Lowe’s, Sears, Ace Hardware
- Electronics: Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, Fry’s Electronics
- Books & Music: Barnes & Noble, Borders
- Sporting Goods: Academy, Walmart
Needless to say, this list is not complete, but it will get you started. You’ll notice that the big chain stores come up in many of these categories. For example, Walmart sells everything from groceries to clothes to electronics and sporting goods.