Boerewors is a South African sausage with a coriander flavor. It is very popular with South Africans.
- 4.4 ibs Beef (super trimmed brisket works well)
- 2.2 lbs Pork
- 10 tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Ground Cloves
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1 ibs Bacon
- 0.4 cup Vinegar
- Casing (Hog casing is good. Some use lamb casing.)
Preparing The Coriander (1 tbsp produces 1 tsp)
- Place in dry pan, heat and stir until light brown.
- Grind, sieve to remove husk. Grind remainder to a fine powder. (A plastic food storage bag and a rolling pin works well. Recently I’ve been using an old coffee grinder.)
Making The Boerewors
- Cut meat into approximately 25mm (1 inch) cubes.
- Let the cubed meat stand for a while to allow excess blood to drain.
- Cut bacon into small pieces. Mix all the meat and spices. Add the vinegar and mix well.
- Put the prepared mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Grind all together. Do not grind it too fine – use the cutter that has +/- ¼ inch holes.
- Stuff the mixture into the casing, but be careful to not overstuff.
If you’ve never made boerewors before, here’s a more complete description of how to make boerewors.
Want To Easily Cook Delicious South African Food In The USA?
Please share this information...