Everyone loves vetkoek, which is why a vetkoek recipe is a good thing to have! Fill it with a little curried ground beef and it’s called a “curry bunny”. It’s also really good with regular ground beef and some cheddar cheese, or cheese and syrup!
Vetkoek is deep-fried bread. South Africans typically fill them with curried ground beef or cheese and syrup.
- 6¾ cups Flour (all-purpose flour)
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 packet Yeast
- Lukewarm water
- Cooking oil (for frying)
How To Make The Dough
- Mix sugar and yeast with some lukewarm water and leave to foam.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Pour yeast in flour and knead.
- Keep adding water and knead until you have a consistency like a bread dough.
- Leave the dough in the bowl and cover the bowl with a cloth.
- Leave the dough to rise for about 45 – 60 minutes until it is about double its original size.
How To Make The Vetkoek
- Pour the cooking oil into a frying pan to have about 1-1½ inches of oil in the pan. Heat the oil to about 375°F.
- Divide the dough into balls about the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the dough until it is about 1 inch thick and about the size of your palm.
- Place two or three pieces of the flattened dough at a time into the oil. Fry each side until golden brown.
This recipe was submitted by Linda Moreland. Thanks!
Want To Easily Cook Delicious South African Food In The USA?
With this new book, South African Cooking in the USA, it has never been easier!
- No need to figure out US equivalents for ingredients
- No need to convert quantities and volumes to US measures
- More than 170 South African recipes to choose from, including:
- Bunny Chow
- Hot Durban Curry
- Monkeygland Steak
- Buttermilk Rusks
- Hot Cross buns, and more...
Please share this information...
Mhm🤗❤ I really enjoyed your recipe
if 1cup = aprox. 234.g
what kind of recipe is this that requires over 1kg of flour?
LOL! The more flour, the more vetkoek. this is a home favourite here in Cape Town. The more, the merrier
There is no point in making any less as there is almost never enough to go round. It can also be warmed again after being in the fridge the next day being just as tasty either hot or cold.
Going try it
Best vetkoeks ever😋😋