On the eve of Soccer World Cup 2010 that is being held in South Africa this year, I was wondering how South Africans living abroad feel about sports’ biggest event and the fact that it is held in South Africa this year.
While soccer is a hugely popular sport around the world, not all South Africans are soccer fans. Some may not care to watch SWC 2010 whether it is held in South Africa or not. Others may be very excited about it and can’t wait for it to start.
South Africa has many good points, but it is also known to have very high crime rates. That was one of the reasons for very lackluster ticket sales in Europe. A lot has been said about the crime, and the South African government has gone to some lengths to assure people that they will be safe during SWC 2010.
So, now my questions to you are…
As a South African living abroad, are you planning to watch any of the SWC 2010 matches?
- Yes, I already have my plans set up and can't wait for it all to begin! (32%, 7 Votes)
- Yes, I may watch a few games if the opportunity comes up. It is being played in South Africa afterall. (45%, 10 Votes)
- No, I'm not a soccer fan and couldn't care less, even if it is in South Africa. (23%, 5 Votes)
Total Voters: 22
About The Crime…
With South Africa having a big crime problem generally, do you think the crime will have a big impact on SWC 2010?
- Yes, the criminals are going to have a field day and the world will see how bad it is. (37%, 7 Votes)
- Not really. There may be some incidents, but the police will generally keep the fans and venues safe. (63%, 12 Votes)
- No, crime will not impact SWC 2010 at all. (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 19
These polls will remain open until July 11, 2010.
I want to wish South Africa the best with the hosting of Soccer World Cup 2010. I hope some very good things come from it!